Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Doire Choill Project part 2

Since my last post I have done some changes to the website, the first thing I did was cosmetic, I moved the page header image to the top of the page and added alt text to it, this will help with indexing. I then made this blog embed on one of the website pages and made a facebook page for the website. I should explain a bit about driving traffic to your site at this point. External links "off site optimization", links from other sites are the single most important ranking tool in search engines nowadays, so with making this blog and the facebook page I have trippled my external links, if the 57 friends of mine I invited to "like" my new facebook page all were to add it then this would greatly increase my indexing.
The second most important tool is "on page optimization" this is basically selecting the best keywords for each of your pages, now its really easy to have "website design" as a keyword but Google discovers  1,630,000,000 results for that search so there is next to no chance of being on the first page of results. I would be better having words that my potential customers will type into google, "connemara website design" might be better, I will need to really think about my keywords.  You also have to make it as clear as possible to the search engines that the page is relevant to the search keyword. I need to do some work in this aspect as well.
Content is King, my site is lacking content so I added a page about how to get your business online and the cost of registering a domain name and web hosting. I will make another page about keywords and meta tags.
If you have any comments about the sort of content I should include in the site or any other topics please email me at robshairp@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment