Friday, February 3, 2012

The Doire Choill Project

Doire Choill is a small village in Connemara Ireland and I have a website design business here with the same name, Doire Choill Website Design. This blog is about the development of my website and the things I will endeavour to do to increase traffic and hopefully get work through the website.

I am starting off with a very basic, tiny website that has quite a lot wrong with it and over the next period I will try and improve the site, blogging about the changes I am making. I would love input from anyone who would like to comment on my ideas and changes.

Looking at the website www.derrykyle.com the first thing that is really noticeable is that its called derrykyle instead of Doire Choill, Derrykyle is the English spelling and something I shall have to live with as the domain name has been registered already. This will effect the search engine ranking as doire choill isn't mentioned in the URL. I shall have to get the other optimisation aspects better.



The next thing needing sorted is that none of the images have alt text, you can check this by viewing the page source and a lot of the search engines look at the alt text when they are indexing the page.

The site is also very short of content so it would act as a first contact brochure I suppose but wouldn't really do a proper job of informing potential customers of prices and other information. so adding pages is also a priority, adding this blog as an embedded object will be one of the things on my list to do.

Next time I shall look at navigation and linking the site to other sites on the Internet.

If you would like to contact me with any ideas please email robshairp@gmail.com and I will post your suggestions on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment